self HELP GUIDE
For hearing aid users & ear wax removal patients
NHS hearing aid users are responsible for the care of their devices.
If you are having difficulties with your hearing aids then please consider the videos & instructions on this page before contacting us.
Ear wax removal patients are expected to use ear drops in preparation for their microsuction ear wax removal appointment.
If you have been given an appointment for ear wax removal then continue to take olive oil ear drops twice daily up to the day of your appointment with us. Do Not try to remove ear wax yours using cotton buds or other instruments. Sometimes ear drop use can clear the wax without the need for professional assistance. If this is the case, please contact us to cancel your appointment.
Cleaning you hearing aid tubes Resound UP977
This self help video teaches users of the Resound UP977 hearing aid how to clean their hearing aid tubes correctly.
Cleaning you hearing aid tubes Oticon Synergy
This self help video teaches users of the Oticon Synergy hearing aid how to clean their hearing aid tubes correctly.
Cleaning you hearing aid tubes Bernafon Chronos 7
This self help video teaches users of the Bernafon Chronos 7 hearing aid how to clean their hearing aid tubes correctly.
Cleaning you hearing aid tubes Siemens Teneo M+/S+
This self help video teaches users of the Siemens Teneo M+/S+ hearing aid how to clean their hearing aid tubes correctly.
How to insert your hearing aid batteries correctly
This self help video teaches users of the Resound UP977 hearing aid how to insert their hearing aid batteries correctly.
The most common problems with their solutions.
Care & Maintenance
- To switch your hearing aid off, open the battery door as wide as possible. Do not enclose in any box as the hearing aid needs to release any moisture build up.
- Keep your hearing instrument dry and away from water
- Do not use your hearing aid when sleeping
- Wipe the case with a piece of cloth or tissue after removal (DO NOT USE WATER)
- Avoid rough handling & dropping of the instrument
- Remove your hearing instrument when applying cosmetics or hair spray
- Open the battery door
- Remove the used battery if present
- Remove the sticker & insert the new battery into the hearing aid
- Insert the new battery with the positive side facing upwards.
- Close battery doors & wait for activation
Inserting your hearing aid (Thin tube type)
- Place the rest of the hearing instrument behind the ear.
- Hold the thin tube where it bends & gently push the dome inside the ear canal
- Push the dome far enough so that the thin tube lies flush against the skin
- If the dome has been placed correctly you should not be able to see the thin tube when facing the mirror.
Removal of thin tube type hearing aid
- Hold the thin tube with your thumbs and forefinger & remove the tube
- Remove the rest of the hearing instrument from behind your ear.
If you are having problems with your hearing aids, please consider the tables below. The information provided will help you troubleshoot and maintain your hearing instrument.